Development Activities in and Around Arlington, VA
Many people think of Arlington, VA as the home of the National Cemetery, as a historic city with tree-lined streets, or simply as a D.C. Bedroom community. If this were indeed the case, there would seemingly be little work available for the aspiring aerial photographer or for a company such as ours, which specializes not only in aerial photography, but areal videography as well.
There are other locations nearby where we serve our clientele, but Arlington certainly does not take a back seat to its neighbors when it comes to new construction projects, both public and private and both residential and commercial. Real estate sales and housing development are thriving businesses in the Arlington area, and our services are constantly in great demand.
To give you a better picture of the types of assignment we are engaged in, it might be helpful to review some of the major construction projects that have been planned, undertaken, and completed the past two years.
- In the second quarter of 2012, three large construction projects were initiated in Ballston on Founder’s Square: the 183-room Marriott Residence Inn, a 257-unit residential building, and a 418,000 SF office building.
- The 355,000 SF DARPA building was also nearing completion at this time, as was the Virginia Tech Research Center.
- In Clarenton, construction began on a ten-story office building and also on a 252-unit residential building.
- Large Residential Units were also under construction in the Columbia Pike and Courthouse areas, and two large office buildings and several residential buildings were under construction or in the planning stages in Crystal City.
- One year later, in the second quarter of 2013, several of these projects had been completed or were nearing completion and up for approval. Several new residential and office buildings had begun construction along with the 150,000 SF Clean Technology Center. A Boeing regional office building (453,000 SF) was under construction in Crystal City.
- In 2014, construction of the Boeing facility in Crystal City was well under way, approval had been given for a 1 million SF office building in Crystal City, and a number of larger projects had been approved in Pentagon City, including a 699-unit residential building and Pen Place, a 1.8 million SF office building.
Not all of these were clients of hours, but the above gives a sample of the construction activity constantly underway, not only in the Arlington area, but in a good part of Northern Virginia. Many of these projects profit from what aerial videography has to offer and some of these projects demand such services.
Arlington is growing and will continue to do so in the near future. The city lies a short distance from the Potomac and the D.C. Area, it is home to the George Mason University Arlington campus, the Virginia Tech research Center, and George Washington University as well as home to or within driving distance to nearly a dozen colleges and universities. Arlington is a city steeped in history but is a very modern, and a city that is growing by leaps and bounds.
It is our pleasure to be a part of what is happening and to serve our clientele in Arlington and the surrounding area. If you are planning a major construction activity, wish to monitor construction already in progress, or are in need of data to verify successful completion of a project, feel free to call on us.